The Trump campaign continues to continue the narrative of voter fraud and irregularities in the election, and lawyers are wagering on finding some luck in Las Vegas.
The campaign filed a new federal lawsuit late Thursday in Nevada, alleging that some votes cast in the Las Vegas area were ineligible. Las Vegas leans strongly Democrat in largely GOP Nevada.
A complaint filed in U.S. District Court restated an effort abandoned hours earlier in Nevada state court. That goal was to stop the Clark County Registrar of Voters from using an optical scanning machine to process ballots and validate voter signatures.
The federal filing also includes a woman’s story about being turned away from voting in-person because a mailed ballot had been cast with her signature, and a political strategist TV analyst who said he wasn’t allowed to observe ballot counting late on election night.
Trump Nevada campaign co-chairman Adam Laxalt said this filing “highlights ongoing voter fraud and voter disenfranchisement in Clark County.”
According to the Associated Press, the Trump representatives held a brief Thursday news conference, but when asked whether they could provide proof of fraud, “they piled into a van and left.” State Attorney General Aaron Ford called it “a Hail Mary” and “another opportunity to undermine the confidence in this election” as ballots were still being counted.
Those traditionally allowed to observe were accommodated in Las Vegas-area ballot-counting offices, but Clark County Registrar of Voters Joe Gloria said coronavirus distancing rules and privacy requirements prevented over-the-shoulder monitoring of signature validation.
Earlier Thursday, lawyers for the Nevada Republican Party had delivered a criminal referral to Attorney General William Barr, referencing what the complaint said were at least 3,062 instances of voter fraud in the state.