We all know what happens if you eat a lot of fried, fatty, over-processed foods. Your body will not operate at peak efficiency. It’s the same story with your brain; certain foods will help you maximize the power of your brain, according to a Harvard brain health researcher.
Dr. Uma Naidoo makes a living doing nothing but analyzing the best foods to eat to enhance brain power, so you have nothing to lose by continuing to read.
Here you go, the six brain foods she told CNBC that will maximize your diet and mental health.
- Spices are known for antioxidant properties, which help fight off free radicals. One of Dr. Naidoo’s go-to favorites is turmeric and saffron due to their ability to decrease anxiety and symptoms of depression.
2. Fermented foods. This is what you get by combining milk, vegetables, and other raw ingredients with microorganisms such as bacteria and yeast.
Translation; plain yogurt, kombucha, and kimchi.
2. Dark chocolate is an excellent source of iron and aids in mood control. A survey in 2019 found that 70% of the 13,000 adults in it had reduced risks of depression symptoms when they eat dark chocolate regularly.
4. Avocados are high in magnesium and very important for proper brain function.
Magnesium has proven successful in treating people with agitated depression.
5. Nuts, thanks to their healthy fats and oils needed by your brain to function effectively.
Walnuts and Brazil nuts are beneficial for improved thinking and memory.
6. Leafy greens, which contain vitamin E, carotenoids, and flavonoids, are all helpful in fighting off dementia and cognitive decline.
Spinach, kale, Swiss chard, and dandelion greens are all winners.