Tragedy struck a popular reality competition show earlier this week when a contestant on “Wipeout” died during the show’s recording on the set in Santa Clarita, California.
The man, reported to be in his 30s, was declared dead at a hospital Wednesday evening, Los Angeles County coroner’s spokeswoman Sarah Ardalani said. The man had just completed an obstacle course, authorities and sources close to the production said Friday.
The cause of death has not been released, and the man’s name was being withheld until relatives could be notified.
According to TMZ, which first reported the death, it appears to be heart-related.
“Law enforcement sources tell us they got a cardiac arrest call just before noon Wednesday,” TMZ reported, “and medics on set had already started using a defibrillator on the contestant, who was experiencing chest pains after completing the course.
“We’re told there are precautions and safeguards in place on set. For example, every ‘Wipeout’ contestant undergoes medical exams before participating. There are also two paramedics on-site, plus a safety producer and paramedic coordinator.”
The original version of “Wipeout” aired on ABC from 2008 to 2014. The new version now is being produced by TBS and production company Endemol Shine North America.
“We are devastated to have learned of his passing, and our deepest sympathy goes out to the family,” TBS said in a statement.
Endemol Shine North America also issued a statement, saying, “We offer our heartfelt condolences to the family, and our thoughts are with them at this time.”
The current iteration of “Wipeout” is co-hosted by model Camille Kostek (also Rob Gronkowski’s girlfriend), wrestler and actor John Cena, and comedian Nicole Byer.