For weeks, former President Donald Trump’s personal attorney Rudy Giuliani appeared on television interviews claiming the Dominion Voting System had stolen votes from voters, and essentially allowed Joe Biden to win the presidency fraudulently. They were allegations that Giuliani never supplied proof for, and could not get courts to agree with his arguments.
Now Dominion has fought back, filing a lawsuit against Giuliani for defamation, and asking for a staggering $1.3 billion in damages. Lawyers for Dominion provided details to their side of the story in the lawsuit filing, saying, “Just as Giuliani and his allies intended, the Big Lie went viral on social media as people tweeted, retweeted, and raged that Dominion had stolen their votes. While some lies — little lies — flare up on social media and die with the next news cycle, the Big Lie was different. The harm to Dominion’s business and reputation is unprecedented and irreparable because of how fervently millions of people believe it.”
The lawsuit was filed Monday morning in DC District Court, and it is the second lawsuit Dominion has filed against Trump loyalists. Previously Dominion sued another lawyer that worked on Trump’s behalf, Sidney Powell, who also made claims that the election was stolen because of Dominion.
Dominion claimed that they sent Giuliani a letter on January 10 asking for a retraction of his claims. Dominion claims that just hours before a Trump rally at the Capitol turned violent on January 6, Giuliani continued to claim the election was stolen, and Dominion was behind it.
“Giuliani has not retracted his false claims about Dominion, and many of his false and defamatory television and radio appearances and tweets remain available online to a global internet audience. Indeed, to this day, he continues to double down on the Big Lie,” the lawsuit said.
Dominion said in the lawsuit they project losses of $200 million in profits because of the false claims.