Less than a week after testing positive for the coronavirus, the White House has officially said that it’s time for President Donald Trump to officially return to the campaign trail. White House physician Dr. Sean Conley sent out a memorandum on Thursday afternoon stating that the president would be cleared to return to public engagements this weekend.
Dr. Conley noted that it will have been 10 days since the president was first diagnosed, and he anticipates the president can return to public engagements as early as Saturday.
“Today the President has completed his course of therapy for COVID-19 as prescribed by his team of physicians,” Conley said in his memo. “Saturday will be day 10 since [last] Thursday’s diagnosis, and based on the trajectory of advanced diagnostics the team has been conducting, I fully anticipate the President’s safe return to public engagements at that time,” he added.
Earlier in the day, President Trump pulled out of next week’s October 15 presidential debate after the event’s organizers announced that the event would be held virtually with the candidates in separate locations. The Trump campaign has now called on the Commission on Presidential Debates to reverse its decision and allow the debate to go on as originally scheduled, with both candidates appearing at the town hall–style debate in person. The Trump campaign continues to insist that there is no public health threat posed by allowing President Trump and Joe Biden to appear in person.